Former SCC justice receives highest Order of Canada accoladeWritten by Jennifer Brown Tuesday, 03 July 2012
|Former SCC justice Ian Binnie was named a Companion of the Order of Canada. (Photo: Glenn Kauth)|
Binnie, who retired from the SCC in October 2011, received the highest rank of the Order of Canada for his contributions to the legal profession, notably as a justice of the SCC, and for his commitment to legal education and the rule of law.
In April of this year he announced he was joining litigation boutique Lenczner Slaght Royce Smith Griffin LLP, after much speculation about what he would do after 14 years on the bench. In addition to acting as counsel at Lenczner Slaght, Binnie is a resident arbitrator at the Arbitration Place in Toronto.
Binnie practised for 30 years in courtrooms across the country and in the mid-1980s, served for four years as Canada’s associate deputy minister of Justice. He was later appointed special parliamentary counsel to the joint committee of the Senate and the House of Commons on the Meech Lake Accord.
John D. Richard, was also named an Officer of the Order of Canada for his contributions to the legal profession, notably as chief justice of the Federal Court of Appeal, and for his service to the community.
Michael Pitfield, a former senator and one-time clerk of the Privy Council was also named an Officer of the Order of Canada. A graduate of McGill University’s law school, he also holds a postgraduate degree in public law.
Click here for a full list of the recipients named on June 29. They will be invited to accept their insignia at a ceremony to be held at a later date.
Jennifer Brown is the Managing Editor of Canadian Lawyer InHouse and Law Times. She has been a business magazine writer and editor for 10 years covering the IT, occupational health and safety, and security sectors for the business-to-business press prior to arriving at InHouse. She was also a newspaper reporter for five years in the Greater Toronto Area covering health care and education before going to work at a daily news online portal reporting on the technology sector.
Latest from Jennifer Brown
- Court certifies class action against Deloitte, subject to finding new representative plaintiff
- Panel of in-house counsel slams CASL private right of action, warns of class actions
- Body rub parlour owner gets red light from Court of Appeal
- Jordan cited as reason for charge being stayed in workplace fatality
- Does Freshfields have new focus on Toronto?
Related items (by tag)
- AG makes first judicial appointment under new application process
- Justice Robin Camp resigns following CJC report
- CJC announces inquiry into actions of Justice Newbould in land claim issue
- SCC justice recognized as global jurist of the year
- Alberta judge criticized for sex assault decision retires after 10 years on bench
Subscribe to Legal Feeds
- Patricia Cancilla
- Gabrielle Giroday
- Elizabeth Raymer
- Alex Robinson
- Alexia Kapralos
- Mallory Hendry
- Jennifer Brown
- Tim Wilbur
- Karen Lorimer