Feds appoint six lawyers to benchWritten by Glenn Kauth Monday, 17 December 2012
|Justice Peter Lauwers has been elevated to the Ontario Court of Appeal|
In Ontario, St. Catharines lawyer David Edwards joins the bench in Brampton, Ont. A lawyer with Lancaster Brooks & Welch in St. Catharines since 1979, Edwards is a certified specialist in corporate and commercial law. He replaces Justice Bonnie Wein, who became a supernumerary judge Nov. 1.
Also joining the Superior Court bench in Ontario is Michael Varpio, a lawyer with the Ministry of the Attorney General in Sault Ste. Marie. An assistant Crown attorney who has also been an adjunct professor of law at Algoma University College since 2010, Varpio replaces Justice Gregory Ellies, who has transferred to North Bay, Ont.
Crown lawyer Hélène Di Salvo of Montreal has been named to the Superior Court of Quebec. A Crown since 1990, Di Salvo replaces Justice Claudette Picard, who became a supernumerary judge Sept. 23.
Finally, the Federal Court has two new judges: Yvan Roy, a federal lawyer who replaces Justice Michel Beaudry, and Cecily Strickland, a lawyer with Stewart McKelvey in St. John’s, N.L., who replaces Justice Michael Kelen. Beaudry became a supernumerary judge Jan. 25 while Kelen resigned from the bench on June 14.
Besides lawyers joining the bench, the government also elevated Ontario Superior Court Justice Peter Lauwers to the Ontario Court of Appeal. He replaces Justice Robert Armstrong, who became a supernumerary judge Sept. 1. Lauwers has been a judge since 2008 following a career in private practice that included a stint at Miller Thomson LLP.
In addition to the federal appointments, two provinces appointed new judges last week. In Manitoba, Margaret Wiebe joins the provincial court of Manitoba. And in Ontario, Matthew Graham will sit in Woodstock, Ont., as a judge of the Ontario Court of Justice.
Glenn Kauth had stints as a police and court reporter in Alberta, before arriving at Law Times, first as staff writer, and now editor. His daily newspaper background is well-suited to the fast-paced environment of Law Times and lawtimesnews.com, where legal news gathering and reporting don’t take a break!
Latest from Glenn Kauth
- Alberta introduces ‘sweeping’ climate change plan
- New study raises concern about fairness to unrepresented parties on summary judgment
- ‘Very serious trading bloc’ achieved with TPP deal: trade lawyer
- Miguna appeals ruling in copyright dispute with Wal-Mart
- Appeal court upholds rejection of claim over statements on lawyer’s web site
Related items (by tag)
- CJC releases proposals for judicial discipline reform
- B.C. government sent back to drawing board in latest provincial court judges’ compensation battle
- Law Society of B.C. makes recommendations around SCC appointments
- New judges appointed
- Federal, Quebec justice ministers ask CJC for new hearing on Girouard
Subscribe to Legal Feeds
- Patricia Cancilla
- Alex Robinson
- Elizabeth Raymer
- Mallory Hendry
- Jennifer Brown
- Gabrielle Giroday
- Tim Wilbur
- Karen Lorimer